Sunday, November 29, 2009

Recommended read: How Starbucks Saved My Life


I can't go into Barnes and Noble without buying a book. I walk in to waste a little time and leave with at least one new book that I don't have time to read. It's beginning to be a little bit of a problem, but oh well.

I went in the other day, and saw this book - How Starbucks Saved My Life - and it got my attention. I love Starbucks, I [now] love coffee (my ability to grow an addiction in such a short period of time is actually kind of impressive), but to claim it saved my life? I clearly had to investigate further.

The tagline is A son of privilege learns to live like everyone else, so I'm giving it a try (reading it, that is)... and it's actually pretty good. Michael Gates Gill basically tumbles from his spot on top of the world, loses it all, and then grows by becoming a barista at Starbucks. Interesting, definitely. His writing is conversational and it gives you just a little more insight into the people behind the bar serving you your morning latte. Check it out!

Image via

2 comments:

  1. I have that same problem (about always buying a book to read - that alone is an addiction). The book sounds interesting and a modern form of the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" idea of classic American authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things that Michael Gates Gill learns, I believe, is about acceptance of himself and others, and about the world beyond the privileged, white, upper-middle class bubble he lived in most of his life. If we are to believe what he writes, he has found more happiness as a 'downwardly mobile' Starbucks barista than he ever did in his ad executive career.

    ReplyDelete